Thursday, December 16, 2010

What I meant by gratuitous.

I love each and every last one of you who read this, including the one person in Guernsey (do you know where Guernsey is? I didn't, until I looked at my stats and Googled it) who probably just stumbled on here from "Next Blog" and kept right on going.

So I feel bad that I haven't posted in 48 hours. What can I say, nothing can dampen the spirit of a rabid Whovian but finals.

If you've seen my About page you know where this is going.


Yes.

Also, speaking of my About page, there is a distinction I made there that I feel compelled to explain, steeped as it is in gender stereotypes (sorry).

Fanboy (n): A geek about the subject (TV show, movie, book, etc.) in particular who knows random bits of trivia and yells at the screen about minor continuity errors.

Fangirl (n): Someone who is a fan of the subject (TV show, movie, book etc.) simply because of a physical infatuation with one of the characters.

So for example, if I go "WHAT WHY ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT THE DUCKS YOU KNOW THEY HAVE TO COME BACK IN SERIES 6 AS THE MONSTERS BECAUSE THEY WERE NEVER SATISFACTORILY EXPLAINED IN THIS EPISODE", that is a fanboyish thing to say. If I go "ASJDFKL;AJSDFKL; TENNANT'S ARSE I WANT IT IN MY PUDDING CUP WITH A STRAW", that is a fangirlish thing to say.

This may not be very coherent but I was discussing this with my housemate the other day.

Anyway, I promise there's a real post coming soon. I have it all planned out and everything. I just need to piss away my life on microeconomics and international relations review first.

3 comments:

  1. I think this fangirl/fanboy distinction is possibly in need of serious in depth discussion. I find your opinion interesting. Perhaps a gender non-specific term is required...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perhaps that'll be the topic material of my next post! After I dissect all the River Song fan theories, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  3. RIVER SONG POST?!?!?! FUCK YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

    but yeah, i actually do agree with this observation of yours. i never EVER would've thought about it that way, but now that you point it out, it's so incredibly true.

    ReplyDelete