Wednesday, December 22, 2010

A big fat River Song speculation post.

River goddamn Song. What a frustratingly enigmatic woman. I love her, I really do, but every time she says "Spoilers!" in that sing-song voice, I want to...well, I want to speculate for another two hours, really. 

I love this gif.


So that's what I do.

Here, in no particular order, are my thoughts on a bunch of different River Song fan theories that I've picked up on the Pointless Waste of Time forum, the Digital Spy forum, and other places. (Yes, I'm a dork.)

1). River Song is the Doctor's wife.

 I've started with the most obvious one, which (to me) means that it has to be the least likely one. This theory has been bandied around so much that Amy even jokes about it in Series 5: "Are you two married in the future? She's very...'heel, boy'". Well, River may be very 'heel, boy', but unless the Moff likes to indulge in some pretty convoluted reverse psychology, I highly doubt this is actually it.

That doesn't preclude the possibility of River and the Doctor getting their smooches on, though. I mean, really...

Come on now.
2). River Song is a later regen of the Doctor.

Unless the Doctor becomes enough of a narcissist to be attracted to himself - and, to be honest, that's not entirely impossible - I wouldn't put money on this.  And it's not just because of the romancey stuff (eww cooties). I dunno, I don't think the Doctor would have a female regeneration at all. A lot of fans seem to want that, but...he doesn't show any signs of being from a hermaphroditic species, and a lot of his experiences are uniquely male (read: Rose). 

I wouldn't mind seeing a female Time Lord sometime though. I keep hearing about the Rani - how about we see some of her?

3). River Song is Amy from the future.

Now this one I do like. The big clue that a lot of people seem to focus on is the aquatic theme of both their names: "River" Song, Amy "Pond". When River first meets Amy in Time of the Angels, she says "Oh, you are good" - she seems to have a high degree of respect and awareness of Amy as a companion, more than she ever had in her interaction with Donna. Amy's and the Doctor's ambiguously pseudo-romantic bits (basically Amy wanting to bone him, not marry him) could very well fit with River's wifey-but-not-really vibe. 

And - this is my favourite bit - this would explain my one big problem with the end of Big Bang, where River gave Amy her TARDIS diary, even though she wouldn't have remembered the Doctor/met Amy/known why the blankness of the diary was significant at all. Because if River is Amy, then she's special, and she has the power to remember the Doctor. Sure, there would be another couple tiny holes, but I'd be satisfied with wibbley-wobbley timey-wimey for those.

Also, read the text under Amy's picture. River can fly the TARDIS even better than the Doctor can.

God damn, the more I think about this the more I like it. If I'm right YOU READ IT HERE, FOLKS.

Cue the timeline-crossing slashfic.
4). River Song is the Doctor's daughter.

Refer to #1 and add a big "EWWWWWWW".

5). River Song is the Doctor's mother.

Refer to #1 and add a big "NO NO NO".

6). River Song is a personification of the TARDIS.

Now this is interesting. I came across this on Digital Spy and had to blink and read again, because my first instinct was "LOLWUT". Then I read this:

"The Tardis is female. The Doctor talks to it like a wife or partner. (Thanks dear). When Churchill calls the Tardis, River gets the call.
River knows more about how the Tardis works than the Doctor (blue boringers)" (from a Digital Spy forum member)

Obviously I can't take credit for any speculation about this, but it does make a strange kind of sense. There are alternate explanations for every statement up there, but still. I like it a hell of a lot more than "River is the Doctor's daughter/wife", anyway. Yeuch. 

What do you think? Did I miss out anything?

12 comments:

  1. Okay.

    1) River = the Doctor's wife
    Agreed, it's WAY too obvious. The Moff doesn't roll with "obvious".

    2) River = the Doctor
    Also agreed. Personally, the whole "female Doctor" thing doesn't really bother me THAT much, but should there ever be one in the future, I don't think it would be River. She just doesn't fit the profile.

    3) River = Amy
    Ugh... no. Sorry, just... NO. If it turns out to be true, then congratulations, but I just don't see it happening, like, EVER. (It WOULD tie up that little plot hole nicely though, I have to admit...)

    4) River = the Doctor's daughter (Jenny)
    Of the ones that you've listed, this is the one that I think is most likely. Their personalities seem similar to me. They both have that sort of cocky attitude about them, and when I think about it, I can easily see how Jenny's youthful spunk + years of travelling and experience and getting arrested and stuff would give us River. She really feels like she COULD be a matured, aged, battered Jenny. (Also they look a little bit alike with the hair and the eyes, but that's a minor point.)

    5) River = the Doctor's mother
    LOLno.

    6) River = the TARDIS
    I will eat my phone if becomes canon.

    There's one you've missed: River = a regenerated Donna. The theory assumes that thanks to the metacrisis, Donna has enough Time Lord in her to regenerate when she dies. Of course, there's one GAPING hole in this one: River didn't recognize Donna when they first met in the Library until she heard Ten call Donna by name.

    And finally, my own theory: River = a completely new character. Knowing the Moff, I really think this is the most likely scenario, and also the one he could probably do the most with. It would also be the most exciting to me, because honestly, at least a quarter of River's appeal for me is the mystery around her, and if Steven takes that away by making her a character we already know... well I'd still love her for being the HBIC that she is, but it wouldn't be the same.

    ReplyDelete
  2. AUGH NO SHE HAS TO BE SOMEONE WE ALREADY KNOW OTHERWISE HOW WOULD WE FANBOYS SPECULATE LIKE THIS

    Though that is possible. But I'd like her to have some ties, at least, to existing characters that we didn't already know about.

    And about River being Jenny - when she meets the Doctor in Silence in the Library, she says "You're younger than I've ever seen you" but she HAS seen him before that, in the Doctor's Daughter. So...I'm not sure how much I'd buy that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh true, I forgot about that line. Never mind then.

    And yeah, it WOULD be pretty awesome if River is someone we know or has ties to someone we know, but I do think she's most likely a new character.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH MAN I JUST THOUGHT OF SOMETHING ELSE

    River's and the Doctor's running gag with the handcuffs - remember the first time grown-up Amy meets him? Eh? Ehhh?

    If I'm right I deserve a very strong drink.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my god.

    Oh.

    My.

    God.

    Omigod.

    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll take a Long Island Iced Tea, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. River isn't Amy. Why? Because she didn't recognize Rory. She kept calling him "The Centurion".

    ReplyDelete
  8. How do you know? Maybe she was PRETENDING not to so as not to GIVE AWAY her ACT because SHE IS AMY SHE IS AMY SHE IS AMY I CAN'T HEAR YOU

    ReplyDelete
  9. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRsPheErBj8&NR=1

    <3

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi! I'm new to this crowd but love following and speculating. What if she is Amy's daughter? doesn't explain much about the whole timey wimey stuff, but there have been rumors about Amy being pregnant again this this next season...and if River is bragging about being taught by the best and Amy is a 'tardis pilot'...

    I can't think of the implications but I don't know, I'm ready to find out and stuff...I'm not a huge river fan...she's too pushy for my liking.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh hello! Welcome! I love new readers!

    I've also heard the "Amy's daughter" theory lately, and also the "Amy's pregnant" rumour (though the rest of that story involved a paternity scandal with the Doctor and I REALLY hope the show would not stoop so low).

    It's always fun to speculate!

    ReplyDelete
  12. (spoilers) a.)river is the doctor's wife b.)river is not amy.amy is river's mom her orignal name is melody pond c.) river is definitely not the tardis that would cause the universe to cave in on itself idris is the tardis

    ReplyDelete