Thursday, May 19, 2011

A heads-up, and some shameless self-promotion

First off, I'm going out of town this weekend, so you're gonna have to wait on a Rebel Flesh review till sometime Sunday night/Monday afternoon. I won't be able to watch it till then either, so I'm gonna be staying FAR away from spoilery places (read: the whole of Tumblr, and half the Internet).

[EDIT AS OF MAY 24TH: I'm actually going to wait to do a review until I can do Rebel Flesh/Almost People together. The Almost People is showing in North America only next weekend (June 4th) so I should have a review of both parts up by June 5/6th. The reason for this delay is twofold: firstly, I've got a ton of writing projects lined up for the next little while and I need to use all my time - when I'm not working my full-time job - to plan them out and get my deadlines sorted, and though writing these reviews doesn't take too long in the grand scheme of things, it eats up a good four hours or so per episode. Secondly, from what I hear of this episode (I haven't gotten to watch it yet) there's some pretty hardcore cliffhangers and it would just be far easier for me to condense both into one post. Sorry for the delay. You will see a post by June 6th at the latest, I promise.]

Secondly, you guys have seen the rants-interspersed-with-pictures that I like to call my episode reviews, but did you know I also write things? Like, fiction things? There's an online community on the Pointless Waste of Time forums that encourages and promotes creative writing in many forms. Well, a while ago some of us - me and about 20 incredibly talented writers and artists - decided to come together and try to create something bigger than ourselves. And voila, we created the Wordplague publishing association and its first book, The Four Humours: A Collection. This is a collection of short stories, with illustrations, loosely grouped under the theme of the four humours of ancient medicine (and there's a Wikipedia link for your pleasure, should you be wondering exactly what the hell I'm talking about).

It's put together from specially selected stories (one of which was mine!) that were entered into the PWoT Forum's themed writing contests over the past few months - a series of snapshots into different lives, different universes, and different experiences. There are stories about redemption, stories about love, stories which started with nothing more than a five-word prompt. It contains writing and art by some of the most talented people I know, who decided to do this without pay or (much) accolade. Without pay, you ask? Yup. All proceeds of the book - which you can get for only $2.99 USD, by the way - are going to Kiva Microloans, a programme that loans donated money to developing countries and then reloans it once the recipients have managed to pay it back. In that way the loan money circulates throughout the global South, whooping poverty's ass with every reloan.

Right now the book is available only in ebook form, but can be read through a Kindle application on your computer if you don't happen to have an ebook reader of your own. The hard copy should be coming out soon. As you know, I don't often do self-promotion, but I'm hugely excited about this and it's for a great cause, so here are the links should you wish to buy: 




Thanks for taking the time to read this, you guys. It means a lot. Regular DW programming should resume when I'm back from my trip. As always, happy watching...and, if you choose to buy Four Humours, happy reading as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment